By continuing to use the site you agree to our Privacy & Cookies policy

Your browser seems to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of this website, please enable cookies in your browser.


Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to a newer version or another browser.


Mitie fined £300k over fatal electrocution

Edinburgh-based Mitie Engineering Services has been fined £300,000 after one of its electricians was fatally electrocuted in 2005.

The firm was found guilty of breaching the Health and Safety at Work etc Act, but two company directors and the project manager were acquitted.

Michael Adamson, 26, was killed in August 2005 when he came into contact with a live conductor in a cable on which he was working.

Mr Adamson, a qualified electrician, was working at the JJB Sports Centre and Retail Outlet, which was under construction at the Gallagher Retail Park in Dundee when the incident occurred.

The Dundee Sheriff Court heard that, despite being labelled 'not in use', the cable he was working on was live.

HSE principal inspector Jim Skilling said Mr Adamson was not provided with the necessary test equipment to prove the cable was dead, nor the means to securely isolate the circuit.

Mr Skilling, commenting after the case, said: "The industry's complacency in accepting dangerous practices is startling.

"Michael Adamson's death could have been prevented had his employer ensured that safe working practices were being carried out in accordance with the company's own written procedures. Managers and supervisors in this industry must take active steps to ensure that their electricians work safely."

Related images

Related Jobs

Sign in to see the latest jobs relevant to you!

« »